20 March 2009

back to basics

The beauty of these times is that is an opportunity to get back to the basics.
Not the bare bones back to basics that feels like we are lacking, but the kind that reminds us what really matters in our lives. The simple things that enhance our lives everyday. The beauty that arrests us aesthetically and makes us wonder in awe.

In a world where everything is moving and changing at the speed of light, how do we re-define what the basics are? If you are over 50, you can probably define "back to basics" by many benchmarks. My mom & dad didn't even have a refrigerator {as we know it} growing up. Today, there are too many choices to count, with basic being defined very differently in the 21st century.

For me, Back to Basics is about living simply. Removing the clutter and uncovering those things that are essential to my well-being - so I can go out into the world and be the person I aspire to be: calm, confident and compassionate.

I don't always succeed {hardly}, but with daily practice, I get a step closer to becoming that person, being that way.


Writing morning pages
10 minute morning meditation
Eating dinner at the table with my family
Sundays at home with a big morning breakfast and the NY Times newspaper sprawled about the living room floor
Taking a bath in the morning or at night, or both, to calm my nerves and soothe my soul
Grocery shopping at the local farmer's market on Saturday for the week's perishable pantry
Sparkling water in the refrigerator

These are simple things for me. You may look at this list and nod your head in agreement or turn your head in quizzical questioning. It doesn't matter what you think. That's the point. These are things that are meaningful to me. And you should find that things that matter to you. No matter if others agree, or not. Remember, this is your one precious life. Do not squander it on perceptions and praise. Mind your own business and live your life the best it can be. You can be that.




copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home