24 February 2009

be the authority of your life

I recently asked someone what they felt was lacking in their life. This was their answer;

"I miss being the authority of my own life."

Stunning. It would seem that we should always be the authority of our own life, but today is a different time. Many of us are railroaded by the circumstances of the economy and defeated by the lack of support along the way. It is easy to see why we might feel like we have no authority over our own lives.

And yet, this is the perfect opportunity to e-VALUE-ate our lives. What do we value? What brings meaning and purpose to our lives? Are we living those values? Why not?

Even in the midst of the chaos and confusion of these extraordinary times, we can take ownership of how we live our life.

Here are few questions that come to my mind:

- What do I value most? Am I committed to those values and do I have the discipline to stand steadfast, despite the circumstances that surround me?

- What brings me peace in the midst of chaos? Am I making time for myself to be that peace?

- What do I need to do to take back ownership of my life and become the authority who knows best what I need to be the fully whole person that I deserve to be? That I have a responsibility to become.


I would say, begin now. Here is a great poem from Rumi, one that I love that says it all.

BEGIN ( by RUMI )

This is now. Now is. Don't postpone till then. Spend the spark of iron on stone. Sit at the head of the table; dip your spoon in the bowl. Seat yourself next to your joy and have your awakened soul pour wine. Branches in the spring wind, easy dance of jasmine and cypress. Cloth for green robes has been cut from pure absence. You are the tailor, settled among his shop goods, quietly sewing.




copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home