10 January 2009

Things unseen

My quest for beauty began the day I was born. I didn’t discover this until I found myself one day, many years later, lost and longing, desperate and empty. Little did I know at the time, it was my soul calling for me to come back home to myself. It was trying to get my attention that the life I was living was not the life I was meant to have.
This is when the hard part really began. Dips and detours. Trenches and potholes. I was great at digging out of holes. When would I learn to live life by walking around them instead of falling into them? Just by seeing that, I began to see how I could live my life differently from that point on. Awareness. Observation. Consciousness.
Many thousand steps later, I am still on the quest, each and every day.

Beauty is the essence of everything I long for, live for, aspire to be, do , see and feel in my life. When beauty is the foundation of our lives, everything else falls into place.

Sitting in silence
Hearing the breeze echo through the cracks in the old, worn house in which I live
Sleeping sweet furry child lies on the floor next to me in his calm silence, breathing up and down, in and out , again and again and again

Often it is the most simple, yet indescribable things through which beauty resonates.

Take a walk. Nature will stun us into bewilderment if we raise our heads and look around. The surest cure for self-pity, depression or uncertainty. Answers fall from the tree branches as we walk by.

Sometimes the beauty we see and hear is like our own private morse code . Only we know its meaning, having experienced it through the windows of our own soul. Expression. Emotion. So personal, so intangible, so inexplicable. Sometimes I ache trying to understand it. Sometimes, I am so overwhelmed by its omnipotence, feeling a sense of timelessness and left in utter awe.

If beauty is God, I am lucky to have been in the presence of something divine.
May bewilderment always be my muse.


copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home